Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Annie's Annuals: and a lot more!


I think most of use can relate: I'm not sure what the equivalent term for a superannuated male may be, ("Floral Fogie?"..."Botanical Boomer?"). Annie always manages to hit the nail on the head! I blogged about Annie's nine years ago: and it's gone from strength to stength. That blog was in high summer--this one shows that it's just as dazzling in early spring!


Spring it may be--but Autumn salvias (Salvia greggii) is still in full bloom: probably bloomed all winter: this was a mild one. They CAN get frost in Richmond, but not very much or often.


The sign over the gate is sincerely meant: the staff are always helpful--albeit this time most wore surgical masks and kept their distance...they received permission to do business during the lock-down by their county: I hope other nurseries can emulate their approach. Do click on that link and see how.


For someone like me  this nursery is exasperating: so many hundreds of kinds of plants new to me. I believe this is an Australian Hibbertia: don't look for this in Walmart in Denver.


Despite the early season, the island beds dotted around the nursery looked VERY spiffy: note how the hardy yellow ice plant (Delosperma nubigenum) males a fabulous edging in front.


A typical view across a wide swath of the nursery: cram full of plants--all of them in perfect health. I think I would have liked to try one of each. Or three of each. I got enough that it dented my wallet plenty!


I was especially struck with Beschorneria yuccoides 'Flamingo Glow'--the centerpiece of my favorite bed.

Closeup
Alas, not one for Colorado...


I love the lipstick red of the bananas...


Get a load of the size of that Delphinium!

A mystery vine (pea family)
Most of the plants are meticulously labeled.

Impatiens tinctoria
Annie seems to have a soft spot in her heart for Impatiens: I came home with this one (which of course won't be hardy in Denver.)

Diplacus bifidus 'Alba'
Almost a quarter century ago I collected seed of this on Bowman's Lake road on the Yuba river with Sean Hogan and the late Ted Kipping: it was hardy for me for several years!

Green roofed Kiosk
Hardly needs a comment...


Lush like all things Annie..


So fun to see the container gardens--which change so rapidly over the year...


Even around the Garden Center spectacular specimens stand out, like this fantastic Fremontodendron californicum in peak bloom!


Don't say I didn't warn you: I came away with three flats full--and if I lived nearby I'd be broke!

3 comments:

  1. Ha, what a nice load of plants. I don't see how you could contain yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember visiting this place about 3 years ago! What a fantastic source for plants. Something amazing (and entertaining) around every corner.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive