Thursday, December 21, 2023

Marcescent: an imaginary garden perhaps?


Not a very promising beginning to a blog--it will improve. I promise! Imagine if you were the co-owner of a fantastic 30 acre garden where you'd expended enormous passion, talent and effort (let's not even talk about resources) for 30 years...and you expect that it will all be gone in a year and a half? 


December, even in Buck's County, Pennsylvania is not the best time to visit a garden: even one filled with an astonishning range of sculpture. I know classic antique marble ladies aren't everyboy's cup of tea, but those of us of Greek ancestry approve heartily!


I lied: the garden isn't really imaginary (yet)..this Nursery/Garden is called Paxson Hill Farm: click on the name for their website (do it quick--it may not be around forever)... There's a lot more to the place than marble statues (albeit I did take a lot of pictures of these!) I was astonished how few of my gardening friends in the Delaware valley had been there--but then again, maybe they have too many gardens already?


There are enchanting vistas...


And all manner of gardens, including formal ones...


Interspersed with classical busts...I approve of these, by the way--if you hadn't figured it out yet! Can't quite bring myself to do this at MY garden...but who knows?


And a LOT of other garden sculpture types--as you'll see....


And more views.


From a different angle...


Wonderfjul pavements and a LOT of evergreen shrubs of all descriptions...


Colorful towers...


Sweeps of groundcovers and more sweeping vistas...


Paths with arching trees...


A wise assortment of all manner of trees--many with attractive bark (forgot which one this was--there were crepe myrtle, Stewartia and more galore)...


More vistas


Lichen encrusted benches...


Forking paths leading to cool places in both directions!


More allees!


Strange modern sculptures for those who like such things (I'll stick with the marble myself, thank you--wouldn't want to live with this wonky phalli myself)...


A wonderful Cornus...


Urns galore--and coppery leaved marcescent foliage (I love marcescent foliage and find those who object to it to be fuddy duddies. I even wrote a love poem once about it).


An astonishing wooden wall artwork I should have photographed more closely...



At the rate I'm going, if I continue to talk about every image (there are a LOT coming up ahead...) it will take till Christmas for me to finish: since this is only December 21, I will let the rest of the pictures speak for themselves. Better yet--go visit the garden before Bruce pulls the plug. It's worth it!































































Bruce Gangawer
Here is a more appropriate photograph of the remarkable designer of this wonderful garden. He and his colleagues also manage an outstanding nursery and numerous gardens and estates in the region: I imagine whatever transpires in the next year and a half at Paxson hill, he will do just fine. Although imagine carrying the memories of Paxson hill: marcescent for sure they will be forever for him!

Okay, Okay! If you've made it this far I figure you're probably ready for a poem I wrote, probably 30 or more  years ago, but which I've kept kicking around. I called it "in Praise of Oaks" but a better name I'll change it to now is Marcescent: I guess this will be my Christmas card for the year! 

                    I love these miserly, these stingy trees
                   the willow, cottonwood and mountain ash.
                   Especially the permutations of the oak.
                   For when your normal tree loses its leaves
                   and snows and winds and time manage to scratch
                   them bare as babies, colorless as smoke.
                   the thrifty cottonwood still hoards some gold,
                   the rowan often stays a healthy green.
                   and oaks are famous for remembering,
                   keeping their leaves, like memories they hold
                   dearer than passing fashions. And the sheen
                   of willows greening early in the spring
                   cannot compare with their reluctant yellow
                   clinging leaves, passionately lingering
                   beyond your ordinary kinds of plants.
                   My love, you’re just like them. I too their fellow
                   In detesting the dingaling
                   Inevitability of time, which rants
                   us into wintry emptiness.
                   No matter what the future holds or casts,
                   let’s go into it reluctantly
                   savoring each moment, heavily blessed
                   with the brazen burden of our pasts.
                   shedding little, with pain and constantly
                   grasping, holding together all that’s best. 

3 comments:

  1. I could not agree more - an astonishing complex, imaginative, horticulturally daring and diverse place. I could not believe I had never heard of it when visiting with the Fling this September. Bravo and I hope it has continued life. Jill Nooney

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what's happening in a year and a half??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it will be saved somehow. Even at this time of year when many people might find it less charming than in spring, summer, and fall, it is gorgeous! I have never seen it, so among the reasons it should be saved are some very selfish ones of course.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive