Friday, October 6, 2023

Cuter than a bug's ear! Crassula columnifera redux

Crassula columnaris near Sutherland 
Some plants are rather common...and this tiny, columnar crassula is widespread in on the West and Northern Cape provinces in a wide variety of semi-arid habitats. It is monocarpic (dies after it blooms) which is not a popular trait in gardens nowadays. Even so, How I would love to have this on my crevice garden! If I live long enough, perhaps I will--and these forms from near Sutherland would certainly tolerate our horrible Colorado winters better than any other selections. I can dream, can't I?

As I said the plant isn't rare: why then do I keep photographing it? I should look back: I know I have dozens more pictures from my other trips--these were all taken this past September, on a trip I keep reduxing to...


Here 'tis in bud.

A first year plant, looking for all the world like a little tortoise (don't you think?)

I may like this one with the pink "leaves" best of all?

Or this tipsy one (too many margaritas?)

This tells the whole story!

Crassula columnaris on the Langeberg foothills
Here on the Bokkeveld, growing with a tiny Conophytum. If I could do this in my garden I would be a very happy camper!


 And finally a symmetrical little button, cheerfully gathering sunlight, storing it for next year's bloom...

I suspect I have taken dozens of pictures of Crassula columnifera over the decades. What a strange way to pass one's life!

I wish fewer people bought and used ATV's. But I should be grateful millons of people cheerfully pay thousands of dollars to listen to pop concerts I'd rather be pinched black and blue than sit through. Although I like Taylor Swift (I must listen to one of her songs one day on Youtube) for being so politically astute! I am relieved so many millions sit countless billions of hours watching television programs I'd rather be hit over the head with paddles than watch. I am so glad the nimnuts do donuts on their yachts and leave me alone (with a few friends) on the high, dry windy Karoo to photograph Crassula columnifera and thousands of other treasures basically alone (or with a small band of soul brothers and sisters). If paradise isn't like this I'll be content to simmer in the other place for eternity.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating little plants. Gotta love how plants evolve to occupy the most inhospitable environments. Little miracles.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive