Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Sikkim highlands part one: environs of Lachung

Pleione hookeriana

I have a great many (as in thousands) of photos I took my few weeks in Sikkim and India. Where to start? With an orchid, I suppose--I never dreamed I'd see Pleiones growing so high (well over 13,000') in several different places. One of the many surprises of the trip.

Roscoea auriculata

We only found one species of Roscoea, but found lots of it--more as each day passed.

Buddleia colvillei  

I had no idea there was a red buddleia! Apparently not common in cultivation.

Lyonia ovalifolia

Of course I should have realized there would be an east Asian cousin to our native American Ericad. 

Androsace geranifolia

I stupidly didn't take any closeups: this is the third species of round leaved androsace I've see in the wild (A. rotundifolia in Pakistan and A. alchemilloides in Tibet). Do I get a toaster?

Arisaema griffithianum

The cobra lilies blew my mind: such an amazing assortment of species and forms!

Bergenia purpurascens

Looking suspiciously like the Bergenias back home..wonder if it's hardy?

Clematis tongluensis

From a distance I thought it was Clematis montana--but closer up it is disctinctive...and quite widespread. Often climbing up trees.

Diapensia himalaica  

We'd seen this in Tibet--and thrilled to see it again!

Diapensia himalaica  

Selliguea oxyloba

I was amazed to see this unusual fern growing at tree line--and throughout the subalpine forests and often growing epiphytically.

Selliguea griffithiana

Here is a cousin with entire fronds...

Iris clarkei

 The only species of iris we found. I love the Siberian Iris--especially if they come from China!

Primula obliqua

One of a dozen or so species we found on the trip.

Polygonatum singhalense

We also found quite a few Solomon's Seals--from the tiny lavender blue flowered P. hookeri to dark purple flowered giants in the P. verticillatum complex. This compact white flowered species was common along one hike--a local specialty.

Polygonatum singhalense

It formed some extensive colonies...

Polygonatum singhalense
A closer look...

Panax pseudoginseng

We encountered this Himalayan cousin to ginseng on most of our hikes--it must not be gathered for medicinal purposes like its Chinese and American cousins.

Meconopsis simplicifolia

Our first encounter with a blue poppy in Sikkim: we were to see many more (and much larger) specimens near Lachen.

Lloydia flavonutans

I've seen this growing abundantly in Tibet--fun to find it again.

Rhododendron thompsonii

Sikkim is famous for rhododendrons: I purchased a large tome about them in Darjeeling--and I was amazed by their abundance and variety. They constituted a rather broad zone on the Himalayas from 10,000' to well above treeline (14,000'). I quickly learned to recognize this species (we only found this cluster of flowers left--it usually blooms in April and May). A pretty striking red.

Rhododendron thompsonii

I fell in love with the pale, peely bark. This formed dense forests, with stems up to 20' and even taller. You could get lost in its ghostly forests!

Rhododendron thompsonii

Growing as it did at lofty elevations, this ought to have tolerance of temperatures well below zero. If I lived in the foothill canyons (and had a north facing slope) I would try and recreate this!

Primula cf tanneri
Another enchanting primrose..

Except for the first three pictures, these were all taken near Tsomgo Lake--a popular tourist destination near treeline in the Lachung district.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I don't have a toaster, but I have an old microwave in my garage if you want it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive