Saturday, July 22, 2023

A suite of sweeties from Bamzey

Gueldenstaedtia himalaica

Why "Bamzey"? You'll have to check the last image in this posting for that explanation...meanwhile, I hope you're as dazzled by this crazy pea as I was. It grew at almost every place we hiked--but I think this was my best picture of it...

Arisaema concinnum

All these pictures were taken on a five or six hour hike we took from where the "Bamzey" sign in the last picture was--a bit above treeline to well over 4000m. to a moist valley where the Rhodos and Meconopsis I show later were growing. The "cobra lilies" (Arisaema) in Sikkim grew in a wide variety of ecosystems--three or four species (at least) grow above tree line.


Anemone rivularis

I've grown this in the garden: it gets enormous! And is a bit weedy...


Aster flaccidus
One of the many luscious asters we found....

Caltha scaposa

I found this in Yunnan and Tibet. a truly stunning marsh marigold.


Cassiope fastigiata

We found this Cassiope on many of our hikes. 


Cyananthus sp.

Not sure which species this is. We found cyananthus several times--but I think we were early. 


Dryopteris wallichiana


Fritillaria cirrhosa

Fritillaria cirrhosa


Gentiana sp.

Gentiana sp.

Geranium donianum

Juniperus pseudosabiniana

Kelly Dodson of Far Reaches Farm

Kelly and Sue Milliken, who run Far Reaches Farm were on this trip with us: their great experience exploring (and growing plants from) the Himalayas was a great asset on this trip. Not to mention their sense of humor and passion for life!

Lancea tibetica.

This charming plant seems to like to grow on paths and other difficult places: I have a hunch it would take enthusiastically to gardens! (Perhaps too enthusiastically?)

Lilium nanum ssp. flavidum

We found oodles of purple Lilium nanum in Tibet--but on this side of the Himalayas they run more into the yellow end of the spectrum.
Lilium nanum ssp. flavidum

As lovely in bud as it is in flower...
   
Lloydia (Gagea) sp.

One of the many mysteries of this trip was this tiny lily: not quite right for Lloydia (Gagea) serotina...

Lloydia (Gagea) sp.

See how small it was?

Lloydia (Gagea) sp.

Another closeup: perhaps someone stumbling on this blog post will be able to help?

Lonicera syringantha 

I was shocked to see this honeysuckle, which I grew for decades. I see now it needs to be browsed by yaks to stay in bounds. My form was more lavender. It used to be sold by a local wholesale nursery--wonder if they still have it?

Meconopsis simplicifolia var. grandiflora

The local blue poppy--and a very nice one. The range of blues it displayed were amazing, as you can see (all lovely).

Meconopsis simplicifolia var. grandiflora


Onosma hookeri

I had read about the blue Onosmas of the Himalayas, and was thrilled to come upon a few on the sunny, dry alpine steppe. I would so love to grow these!

Onosma hookeri

Here the flower looks almost black.

Primula capitata

This primrose does quite well in cultivation: it was common on many of the hikes we took--and especially here at Bamsey.

Primula capitata

Primula capitata

Harry Jans photographing Meconopsis simplicifolia 

I posted this picture on Social Media: Harry Jans is a living legend. Worth posting again!

Rhododendron aeruginosum

There were several rhododendrons that grew at the highest elevations: this was the showiest species.

Rhododendron aeruginosum


Rhododendron lepidotum

While I was still in Sikkim I did a blog post about this rhododendron. Click here to see it. The irony is that when I wrote that post I had yet to see THIS magnificent stand of them--the most beautiful specimens of the species of all!

Rhododendron lepidotum

I was entranced with this species even before I saw this. Now I must find one and try to grow myself!

Rhododendron setosum

This is the other Rhododendron that grows at the highest elevations. Another one to find and grow!

Taraxacum sp.

I know it's just a dandelion--but I would grow this one deliberately. Again, without a name...

Thermopsis barbata

I only have seen this outside of "Shangrila" (the stupid new name foisted on Jongdian in Yunnan. Here in an utterly different habitat it shown gloriously in the backlight.

Monsoon Himalaya

The scenery hereabouts is amazing. I had to include a typical shot of monsoon clouds welling up menacingly. Incredibly, we had virtually no rain on our day hikes. We were glad to be in hotels--it rained like crazy every night!

Yakkin' it up!

I am pretty sure this is a yak-cow hybrid. But they are nevertheless fun to come upon on the high pastures.

These are a fraction of the pictures I took on just one day, on one hike. The floral (and scenic) richness of Sikkim is really too difficult to depict in either words or pictures.
 



1 comment:

  1. Amazing to get to see all of those high alpine flowers. Wonder how many of them are growable here in the USA, I imagine you would do better in Denver than we would in NY. Then again, for some of those, Breckenridge might be a better place for them. Every time I see one of those blue meconopsis I think what a shame that no member of the genus is adapted to warm temperatures. Nothing else quite says blue like they do!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive