Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Chocolate and vanilla lily: to DIE for!

Eremurus regelii
If you're a red blooded, honest gardener there will be plants you are obsessed by: I'm pretty crazy about all foxtail lilies, but from the first time I found out about this, I've been pretty anxious to grow it. Seeing lots of it in the wild--in peak bloom--is ALMOST as satisfying in some ways, and even more satisfying in others. This is not a rare plant (I saw it in late bloom almost a thousand miles away over ten years ago). Why it isn't in everybody's garden (especially mine) is a mystery worth pondering. I'm not going...
 

to flay you with too many words--just join me in worshiping one of the loveliest plants I know of which was in peak bloom for us today on the Bayson mountains (I'd never heard of them until we arrived here) in southernmost Uzbekistan, bordering Turkmenistan to the West, Tadjikistan to the East and Afghanistan to the south. I could hardly "stan" it!  Enjoy: you too can join the Regel Lily fan club!









Ending on a video: you may have to fiddle a bit-but it should evetually work!

2 comments:

  1. I am sure that anyone who has had the good fortune of stumbling into your heavenly accidental garden in the back corner of DBG in June will have become 'Foxtail lily lifers'. Horticultural heaven can not get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of the problem with their popularity might be their zone rating. I have successfully grown, flowered and overwintered a lovely yellow cultivar for the last four years in my Zone 3 garden. The trick is to keep them dry over the winter so they don't sit in heavy cold wet soil. A pot stuck over top of the clump for the winter seems to do the trick.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive