Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Plants I have loved and lost: the B's....

Balsamorhiza sagittata
Why should I rue the fact I can't get balsamroot to grow? After all, I can grow 53,941 other yellow composites just fine...but anyone who knows the West knows there's nothing like balsamroot: tens of millions cover steppe meadows from near sea level in parts of the Pacific coast to almost 10,000' in Western Colorado. Their roots must rival trees in size--not one to transplant from the wild. And of course it goes through a messy aestivation: none of this fazes me. I've planted dozens of seedlings over the years, but nary a mature plant results. One day I will tame this sucker!

Beesia deltoidea
It grew well for several years--bloomed and set seed. One year a polar vortex snuffed it. Since then I've seen it twice (OK, both times in the woodlands around Lake Tianqi in Yunnan) where it has extremely cold. I grow lots of other plants from there...I must try it again! Any crucifer that looks like an Asarum is a must have.

Begonia evansiana 'Alba'

This grew so well one year...but came back weaker the next. I've seen these be weedy on the East coast and Midwest. They must love the warm nights and humidity. I grow tons of woodlanders--surely there's a spot this would prosper?

A closeup: how it taunts me!

Begonia evansiana 'Heronswood Pirouette'
The pink form is just as captious, coming back weaker every year. Why do I care so much? It's just a frickin' begonia!


The botanists have lumped this in iris. Which of course is a genus that shall be split up eventually and we'll get belamcanda back. Under either name, it just doesn't like my garden: it needs a bit more watering than I provide, I guess..but surely there's a corner SOMEwhere on my half acre where it will grow!

                                                                    (Closeup of same)
Bessera elegans
Of course, it's not hardy--at least not in Denver! But worth the effort to obtain and keep...


The first time I tried growing it, it looked like this for over a month. Not so wonderful the next year or when I got bulbs again (they sell out immediately!)...

Botrychium virginianum

This I took in the wild this year near Philadelphia--but I did grow it a very long time ago in my parents' garden in Boulder...so its possible. It was found wild, a few miles from where I grew up a long time ago, but I suspect it's extinct now in Colorado.

Brugsmansia suaveolens
I would truck this in and out, in and out: then you go to the Bay area where it makes trees and no one bothers with it...OK...I'll truck it again next year if I get one! And I usually do.

Bulbine abyssinica

I've seem this growing well over 8000' in the Drakensberg.  This was a gift of David Salman that lasted a few years, and then it didn't.  I've gotten several of them back and am keeping my fingers crossed this time.

Bupleurum aureum

 Another much less showy annual is sold under this name--but this perennial which I photographed in Kazakhstan has eluded me. It grows great for a certain colleague of mine (you know who you are!) and I hope you harvest some seed this year. I am anxious to grow it again...

So much for the 'B's'--mind you, there are only a few letters that have fewer Generic names hovering under them ("K" perhaps, or "J", and definitely "U", "X" and "Y")....We may get around to all of these if this winter keeps prolonging as it looks to!


3 comments:

  1. You could really use an alpine house to over winter more tender perennials.

    I am surprised you lost blackberry lily (Belamcanda). Some places consider it invasive.

    I would not even think of growing Botrychium virginianum. It grows in wooded areas not far from my home. Although, I did plant Adiantum pedatum behind my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surrounded by that dratted SUNFLOWER...Balsomorhiza sagittata, here in Trail, Oregon...and yes...I've lost so many other wonderful plants that I get so excited when a dandelion survives. .it's ridiculous!! Thanks for a gorgeous representation. .of your wonderful garden..We know you loved them all fiercely.. Happy Holidays!!! .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have tried Bessera so many times and they are so disappointing yet I have friends nearby where they bloom their heads off. Frustrating but then you probably have some wonderful plants that love your garden and not your envious friends.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive