Saturday, February 1, 2020

Prairie break


John Muir ca. 1870
 While Googling this morning I stumbled on this fatidic quotation from one of America's greatest conservationists:

"Many a sunny sheet of plain and prairie break the continuity of the forests of the North and West, and the forests themselves are mostly lighted also, pierced with direct ray lances, or [the sunlight] passing to the earth and the lowly plants in filtered softness through translucent leaves."

When I coined the name for this blog I thought I was being original! But there really is nothing new under the sun. If you're going to be scooped on a neologism, might as well be by the best!

I found this quotation, by the way, on Project Guetenburg where you can download the entire A thousand Mile Walk to the Gulf for free! I've been availing myself of several of these services and gathered a little library of classics on my Kindle. I still prefer brick-and-mortar REALbooks, however.

I particularly love John Muir's classic The Story of My Childhood and Youth which you must read if you haven't. I've purchased it several times and keep giving it away (I now have a Library of America copy which I will not part with).  I am amazed people care so much about Superbowls and Kardashians when there are books like this on-line and bookstores full of treasures! (And let's not even talk about on-line book buying).

So there you are: two online sources for vast oceans of classic books! And a reminder about one of America's giants (important to remind ourselves of our potential for greatness, especially now that we have our country is hijacked by demented idiots--hopefully temporarily)...

Your welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive