Sunday, March 10, 2019

First flowers



Adonis amurensis
 The adonis really was ther first flower this year. It opened in late January...

Adonis amurensis
Well over 30" of snow has ensued since it first opened its flwoers--and it  waited patiently: today, all my clumps are blooming. If one is good, surely ten are better?

Galanthus elwesii *Don Hackenberry form'
 There were a few snowdrops in January as well--but this is probably their peak season this week. All are fresh and most are blooming.

Galanthus nivalis 'Viridapice'
 The British and a few Americans swoon and collect every one they can. I'm waiting till they have enough to share.

Iris x reticulata 'Blue Note
 What I can't resist are Alan Mcmurrie's amazing irises. I can't get enough of them!

Iris x 'Northern Sun'
 Although I grow this, mine can't begin to compare with this wonderful climp in the gem of a rock garden at Chatfield Farms: Denver's ex-urban station....or more accurately put: our FUTURE!!!

Crocus ancyrensis
 None of my crocuses compare to the giant clumps in Mike Kintgen's buffalo grass: drove by today--glad he tolerates my snooping!

Crocus sieberi 'Bowle's White'

But I AM growing the loveliest white one!

Eranthis hyemalis
Another naturalizing bulb one can never have enough of...Well, that's it for now. I have a hunch these will be joined with a dozen more species each few days henceforward for months!

2 comments:

  1. Your friend's patch of gold crocuses is the tonic most of us need at this time of year. Feeling more optimistic already...

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive