Sunday, December 9, 2018

From Orangerie to Menagerie


I know botanic gardens are all about plants. But we occasionally venture into other artful realms. My colleague Jennifer Miller (in addition to being a gardener extraordinaire) has a flair with Papier-mâché, and has spiced up the Poinsettias and other holiday flower decorations, transforming our Orangerie into a Menagerie of creatures. I've noticed children getting excited as they spy these here and there....


But adults who aren't to obsessed with their adulthood get a kick out of them. I've photographed a selection of these little creatures, which I think provide a bit of a break from my plant and garden obsessed blogs..


Oops,  plant snuck in...fortunately not a real one!


Much of the charm of these creatures is the obvious whimsy that went into their creation: these are not the slick, plastic productions of multinational companies aimed at product placement, Movie-themed ephemera and the fast buck. They're personal and somewhat rustic. And I have seen few visitors wander through who aren't struck and charmed.




It's obvious the squirrels below read the book above!








If I were that mouse I'd be a tad nervous...

Here is a long view of the Orangerie walkway--the creatures tucked here and there as you walk along


Here are some more of Jennifer's handiwork: there are a number of constellations of poppies suspended overhead as you wander down the Orangerie--quite a labor of love!


This is the season of "Blossoms of Light" at Denver Botanic Gardens: most nights are already sold out--everyone wants to come and see the gardens illuminated at night with masses of colored lights. I've been impressed from one year to another to see how many people--especially young people--I see wandering around enjoying the plants and gardens in the daytime as well. So much for the "slow" season! Best of Holiday wishes to you as well--I doubt I'll be as faithful a blogger in the next few weeks!

9 comments:

  1. These are wonderful. she is very talented. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful. Whimsy touches a place sophistication never reaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mz Jennifer is worth more money. These sculptures are fantastic and the way they are arranged make them come alive with a whimsical look at winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob and I went to the orangerie after you posted a photo of the poppies. Thank you! DBG is a hidden treasure during the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Karen Croner also does incredible work with Papier-mâché. I shared your post with her. This is fun. Cheers https://www.facebook.com/karensculpture/

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the most amazing installations I've ever seen there. Just gorgeous! Does she sell these??

    ReplyDelete
  7. That question is asked a lot, Mike: I don't think she does.....yet!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive