Monday, October 22, 2018

Re-cyclamen!


That's me in case you wondered what I looked like! I don't show that many images of myself, so I figured it wasn't TOO egotistical to feature myself once out of ten or fifteen thousand images on Praireiebreak....and those are some hefty corms of Cyclamen hederifolium in my hands.


In case you're curious how long it takes for a Cyclamen to make a corm like this, I can shed a little light on the subject. The specimen above blooming in my hand and the ones below that were done blooming all came from Mrs. Fisher, who had one of the loveliest gardens in Colorado. No end of bulbs in spring, wild flowers like anemones and trilliums. From the time I was eight or ten I'd go there up to Baseline road (two blocks south of my house) where she lived and would peer over the wall at her garden. One day she noticed me and invited me in. After that I'd ring the doorbell at propitious moments spring and fall, and we'd chat and enjoy her garden together. The years went by and once in my thirties I got a call from her daughters: they said Mrs.Fisher wanted me to dig up whatever plants I wanted when she died. She had passed away and her family remembered. I dug up the largest cyclamen in the garden (five or six)--mind you this was thirty plus years ago! They could well have been that old already when I dug them...


These are those very tubers--dug again yesterday. My brother-in-law Earl Sampson passed away a few months ago. The family home full of 65 years of memorabilia is being lovingly catalogued and distributed by my nieces. Not knowing what will happen to either the garden or the house once it's sold, I decided to dig the cyclamen--the self same corms! Perhaps in Italy or Greece they may grow to this size much faster, but on the cold, dry steppe of Colorado (albeit somewhat shielded from the worst), a Cyclamen corm grows to six or eight inches across in half a century,


As  October winds down to its last weeks the garden takes a well earned rest. I especially appreciate the foliage on Arum italicum 'Marmoratum' all fresh and new, just in time for our first hard frost a week or so ago! Of course, this grows with cyclamen in the wild as well...


And this Japanese Allium is looking pretty spiffy as well--and has been blooming for weeks on end: even through our cold snap when the temperature dropped to 17F. Which is as good as anything to end this blog post.

5 comments:

  1. It is good to see one of my favorite garden writers. I am happy that you popped up here especially when you are holding one of my favorite plants. Cyclamen is also one I have tried to grow twice without a good result. Since I have the that Arum growing successfully, at least it stays alive, I might give the cyclamen another try in the same area. I think you are quite lucky to have such a clump of cyclamen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog, thanks to your post on fb. You are an amazing bard; Aesop & Homer would be proud! Thank you for sharing your anecdotes brimming with experience and wisdom, much of which can't be learned from courses in Botany and much less from the average staff at "big box" retailers. I'll definitely be adding your blog to my regular Sunday readings. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories and dispersing belongings.... emotional territory...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the early gardening memories that gardeners share...Mrs. Fisher's cyclamen is a beauty! Now I am wondering how large the corms are in my garden...

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive