Thursday, July 23, 2026

Chris Moritz: landscape architect extraordinaire!

Cas and Chris Moritz

Early in my career I'd heard a lot about Chris Moritz: the premier landscape designer of the Denver area in the last half of the 20th Century. He'd grown up in Germany and lived in Switzerland prior to moving to Denver where he worked with the firm of Saco DeBoer before going out on his own. I shall never forget when an elegant European gentleman came up to me after my presentation at the very first Montana Green Industry trade show and said "you likely don't know who I am: I worked in Denver for many years. My name is Chris Moritz". I'd heard he'd moved to the Flathead Lake area--and was thrilled to find myself face to face with a horticultural legend! By the way, Cas has been a wonderful friend as well: their marriage and partnership is truly enviable. 

The photos that follow were all taken in the late afternoon of June 24 when I had the immense pleasure of having dinner with Chris and his wonderful wife Cas in Big Fork, Every corner of their garden had some extraordinary vignettes--this one tucked on the north side of his house where most visitors never go: that's a colossal giant Polygonum (Persicaria) polymorphum---higher than the eaves!



I was impressed at how well Lavandin (Lavandula x intermedia) does in Montana...


And a perfectly sited plant of Blue Avena Grass (Helictotrichon sempervirens) a plant Chris brought back from Europe--did I mention that he worked with the renowned Karl Foerster? He popularized this grass in our region through his designs.


A few glimpses of the incredibly elegant indoors, full of unique designs...


I love the way the garden and home flow into one another.


I was truly amazed at the extent of this garden and the variety of floral design: everything was in perfect health, and it seemed to be in peak bloom---although when I looked around I saw evidence that there had been an earlier sweep of spring color and lots of late summer and autumn flowers on the way!


Here is the gentleman himself: although we'd only become friends after he'd moved to Montana, our yearly visits have been an enormous delight for me.

Geranium ibericum

I'm guessing on the I.D.: this is one of the boldest of blue flowered geraniums in my book.


These pansies appeared to have become perennials in one part of the garden, carpeting the ground among the roses! The climate is so benign around Flathead Lakes--never too hot or cold! and the plants show it...


Crassula ovata

Some wonderful tender specimens, like this Jade Plant, that obviously move indoors and out.


The garden art was sparse, but very elegant!


Helleborus niger

It would be wonderful to see these Christmas roses in their peak bloom!




Briza media
Wonderful grasses, like this quaking grass, tucked here and there...

Aruncus dioicus

Chris has made the most stunning mass planting of Goatsbeard ever...you'll see several views of this wonderful plant in the Rose Family.


Several substantial Ponderosa pines provide shade and a note of grandeur to the lawn...


A salvia I did not recognize (Harrumph!) complementing the coral bells...


Wonderful edging of Heuchera sanguinea...


There were dozens of lilies along one woodland path--these were the first to open. 


I love the way the different textures combine..Hosta and daylily and geranium all so distinct.


I'm pretty sure this is a Geranium x cantabrigense cultivar--Chris had an enormous sweep of this planted...


There were several areas with tables at different points of the garden--you can tell this is a garden that is lived in!

The last of the German iris to bloom: our tall bearded iris were badly damaged by late frost this year!


Very happy Coral bells....


Many fine shrubs provide backdrop to the garden--Cornus, Viburnum and Physocarpus to name a few...


We end with the Goatsbeard, lawn and scarlet geraniums--as bold and elegant a planting as I've seen. I was so impressed with this garden, entirely weed free and everything so fresh and clean: Chris thanked me when I told him that, and sighed: "I wish you could have seen our LAST garden--much larger!".apparently he had downsized! Looked pretty grand to me......

I can only imagine!

If you've made it this far, you are in for a real treat! Chris has recorded a series of chats about his remarkable life and work. Click here to watch them...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Crime pays, gardens don't.

I apologize for "borrowing" Joey Santore's tagline--but it seems appropriate. And I think Joey would approve. What if I were t...

Blog Archive