Tuesday, March 29, 2022

First flush

Cyclamen coum
If you look carefully you'll notice a bevy of little seedlings popping up all around the mother plant! Hurray...after growing C. coum here and there all over my garden, I finally stumbled on a spot it loves!
 
Crocus 'Advance' I was none too crazy about this crocus the first few years, but it's growing on me...


I
Iris reticulata

One of innumerable cultivars of I. reticulata I keep acquiring. Some love my garden. Some don't...

Corydalis paczoskii

This spreads a tad more than I'd like--so I put it off in a corner where it can't do too much damage...

Crocus sieberi 'Bowles White'

One can never have too many crocuses...

Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant'

I have patches of this everywhere in my garden. I think I need some more...

Crocus x leonidii ‘Early Gold’

One of many treasures I've obtained from Ilhahe bulbs. Go Mark!

Dionysia aretioides

I know it looks pitiful, but it did make it through the winter. I fantasize about it getting to be basketball size like the plants at Gothenburg!

Iris reticulata  'Painted Lady'

I have found this to be a pretty good performer.

Iris reticulata  'Natasha'
Not really white, but I like it.

Lomatium grayi

The first umbel to bloom for me this year. This is spectacular at Denver Botanic Gardens~

Colchicum soboliferum

Given to my by Lee Raden from Pennsylvania decades ago--this has persisted and spread a bit. Very similar to the last, which was also a gift only from John Baumfalk in Kansas. Plants are the best mementos!

Draba hispanica

The most vigorous of drabas for me--it's seeding all over one berm. And on to the next!

Daphne mezereum 'Album'

I am surprised this is blooming: we had subzero weather not too many weeks ago!

Erythronium caucasicum

Almost missed getting a picture of this, it went over so fast in the spell of 75F days,,

Narcissus asturiensis

This was rescued out of Sandy Snyder's buffalo grass lawn where there were dozens seeding.

Iris x histrioides cv.

Thrilled this has come back so strong!  Have to look up the name!

Colchicum szovitsii

I have two very different clones of these: will the real szovitsii please stand up?

Apparently now this is Colchicum vernum?

It will remain Bulbocodium vernum in my heart, but what the heck does it have to do with Narcissus bulbocodium?

Erythronium dens-canis

Not always blooming reliably, I'm happy to have three open this year...

Primula woronowii
From the Caucasus: I don't remember seeing this shade there. Most were a more purple pink.

Iris 'Katharine's Gold' with Scilla mistchenkoana

Never have enough of either of these!

They look even better palling around with a "tommy" (Crocus tommasinianus)

 

1 comment:

  1. Dear PK, despite the very different conditions between Denver and Aberdeen it is great to see we have many of the same plants at exactly the same stage of growth as you do.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive