Thursday, August 26, 2021

The August doldrums....

Dicranostigma leptopodum

Closely allied to Glaucium, the genus Dicranostigma is found in the Himalaya--in areas I have traversed four times over the last few decades and somehow not found it. But I've grown in now and again. Recently a good friend and neighbor (Steve Aegerter) grew a batch from seed and shared these with me: I think I found just the right spot for them! They're quite fetching for weeks, waving in the breeze!

Cheilanthes wootonii

Apparently, after noodling Notholaena, botanists are chopping at Cheilanthes: who knows what the "real" name is for this wonderful Colorado rarity, grown from spore by Mary Hegedus--one of Colorado's premier gardeners in Fort Collins.

Veratrum formosanum
 Photography does scant justice to this wonderful miniature Cornstalk lily from Taiwan. One of the stars of the late summer garden.
Lilium superbum forma

  Okay, Okay, I took this at DBG: I grow this at Quince as well--but my picture of the home stand didn't turn out as nice...such a spectacular (and inexpensive) bulb!

Ann Amato among the wildflowers

 Not long after she landed at DIA, our visitor from Oregon found herself in a field of Evening stars (Mentzelia nuda) and Cleome serrulata; late summer is a fine season for our prairie wildings.

 

 Kelly Grummons with a simply stunning miniature desert willow: I want one!

 

 One of many cool vignettes at Jim Borland's wild garden: the ceramic fish is by a local artist.

 

 Penstemon rostriflous blooming prodigally at the Garden at Kendrick Lake.

 

 A stunning (and alas unnamed) Sempervivum at APEX Simms crevice garden.

 

Eriogonum pulchrum

 If you get me drunk, I'll tell you the story of how Jim Reveal renamed this on the spot when visiting my home garden an autumn fifteen years ago (more or less)...here is a perfect specimen at APEX Crevice Garden....

 

 I'm always amazed to see how wasps pollinate (or do something with) plants.

 

 Rob Proctor and David Macke's extravaganza in North Denver: each year it seems to get more floriferous!

 

I'd never planted Mimulus along my stream before: I think this will be an annual event henceforward!
 


 Yesterday several of us re-visited a wonderful River Birch (Betula nigra) that Jim Borland showed me perhaps ten years ago: surely a state champion! August may not be the best month for flowers in my garden, but lots is happening around Denver and trees are always marvellous to see in any season!

2 comments:

  1. The River birch is an incredible specimen. Had no idea they could get so large. They stay much smaller in my area. Lots happening in the gardens still you just have to look a little closer to see it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prettiest thing in my garden at the moment is large red bell peppers. They are thicker and sweeter than any you could ever buy in the store. The yellow banana peppers are yellow, orange, and red with every color in between. I did not know how to eat jalapeno peppers until I roasted them. When roasted they are delicious. In combination with tomatoes like Cherokee purple, orange jazz, yellow pear, and indigo apple along with cucumbers, when I return from the garden with a basket of vegetables (actually fruits) it is prettier now than any flower in my garden. Do you grow any peppers, even if only for their ornamental characteristics?

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive