Monday, November 4, 2019

A man for all seasons

Welcome!
The Greek language has a word for many phenomena that English should have, but doesn't. Μερακλής in modern Greek signifies a man who is characterized by extraordinary taste and polish, who demonstrates this through all manner of handiwork in his home, the way he dresses and just generally with a flair for living. A "Meraklis" is likely to have a gate leading into his garden of wrought iron with oak leaves.

Andrew Bunting
I've known Andrew Bunting many years, but only in the last few have I come to realize just how much of a "Μερακλής" the fellow really is. I have watched his career as he was Curator of the Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College, then moving on to Chicago Botanic Garden, Atlanta Botanic Garden and now a Vice President of the Pennsyvania Horticultural Society.


During our recent visit to Philadelphia we were able to visit with Andrew several times, and even dropped by his garden (he was apologetic "I've only moved back in recently and it's not where it should be") HA! It was stunning!


These are just a few hurried views (we dropped by as he was taking us to the airport our last morning on October 21). The bright light was not ideal for photography, but the garden holds up well even in glaring light. It's a gem!


Every vista looks onto rare trees, unusual shrubs and herbacous plants combined artistically and all in superb condition.


As a devotee of Salvias I was pleased to see these well represented--I believe this could be 'Amistad'


And abundant foliage plants like this bright Coleus.


And even a pond...


A peephold into his neighbor's garden, which they have allowed Andrew to landscape and share--with a whole new suite of delights...


Such as chickens..


An outrageous picnic table that may be a Dan Benarcik contribution (I know lots of is furniture was visible here and there..)


Seeing Aucuba so happy reminded me that Swarthmore is several climate zones mlder than Denver...


And this robust Edgeworthia confirmed my suspicions and fanned the flames of my jealousy!


Just about anywhere you looked the combinations were graceful and charming...



This Senna (or Cassia?) was striking so late in the season.


Hows this for a fabulous farrago of foliage?

Another luminous Coleus



A Hosta I would be tempted to grow (and that's saying a lot--I usually just grow tiny ones)


I was astonished by the size of his paperbark maple--he's older than he looks! (And the climate of Swarthmore is much more amenable to woodies than what I'm used to)...


I've grown this plectranthus, but it didn't look like THIS!..


A wonderful still life of old irrigation implements...


Annuals still hanging in so late in the season...


A very cool plant stand..


And yet more flamboyant foliage on Coleus...


The view into the back yard from the house was wonderful. He told me how many small panels of glass were on the property--in the four figures...and they were all glistening clean....this fellow is meticulous!


The decoration indoors was as elegant as the gardens outdoors, and irresistible to the camera...


I could fill dozens of blogs with all the treasures


But I end with two original Burle Marx lithographs...


I have had many colleagues across America, but in the last few years, Andrew has made great contributions to me and Denver Botanic Gardens by encouraging and inviting us to participate in the Plant Collections Consortium. I've come to spend more time with him, and catching a glimpse of the private Andrew Bunting and knowing his professional achievement, I am more than a little impressed by his style, integrity and vision. We are lucky to have him as a leader in the world of American Horticulture.

1 comment:

  1. Since I have never heard of this gentleman I am pleased to meet him. I can see why those 'flames of jealousy' were fanned. A gorgeous garden.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive