Thursday, October 31, 2019

Vistas and vignettes of the past year...

Spigelia marilandica
As winter sets in with a bit of a vengeance (four significant snowfalls have fallen fallen this October--and temperatures plunged near zero by Halloween), I can't resist looking back at the wonderful year that's quickly coming to close. I've gathered--rather helter-skelter--a bevy of images of my garden and some of its denizens. These give me such delight, I can't resist sharing the fun of gardening on a sandy slope in the heart of the Denver metro area.



I'm afraid the images are not very well organized: there are so many pocket gardens here and there from woodland gardens to a hot dry berm covered with cacti and xerophytes.  I am delighted to have so many microclimates to grow everything from bog to desert plants.

Lomatium grayi

Clematis scottii

Iris henryi


A different cone of the same species as the last: I think I like it a tad more!

Dianthus myrtinervius (true!)
I'm enjoying watching the pageant of views and details go by: I've written enough commentary elsewhere--I'm going to just enjoy the garden. I hope you do too!
More alpine medleys



Androsace taurica
Penstemon uintahensis

Petunia patagonica

Aethionema grandiflorum
                   
Aethionema grandiflorum
Sisyrinchium macrocarpum


Kniphofia ritualis


My signature weeds: Glaucium hybrids and Verbascum bombyciferum
Erythronium tuolumnense


Erythronium umbilicatum

Paeonia mlokosewitchii

Euphorbia hybrid
                                                                                                                                 
Glaucium hybrid

Arum conophalloides
Polygonatum prattii

Erigeron ursinus

Pathway between "the Ridges"
Mount Evans at dusk
The ultimate vistas are the Rockies: Mount Evans never ceases to peer down...

Tulipa sprengeri

Anemone coronaria hybs.

Echinocereus viridiflorus

Echinocereus reichenbachii

Escobaria  missouriensis

Allium schoenoprasum

Scjutellaria przewalskyi

Salvia caespitosa and friends

Paeonia officinalis 'Anemoniflora' and Chionanthus retusus

Paeonia peregrina

Tradescantia longipes

Orlaya grandiflora


Arum nigrum
Salvia phlomoides


Salvia phlomoides (rear), Moltkia petraea (middle), Delosperma dyeri (front)

Iris graeberiana and Daphne x susanae 'Anton Fahndrich' above






Mt Evans on a spring day


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos! Seeing your garden was definitely a highlight of the GB Fling, thank you for opening for us. Oh and now I have a new crush, that Echinocereus viridiflorus is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many wonders (what a wild petunia!), and spread over the breadth of the growing season, revealing new treasures daily, the epitome of a fabulous personal garden. And knowing the layout I can put them all in context, against the backdrop of your fabulous "weeds," verbascum and glaucium. Thanks again for opening your garden to the bloggers earlier in the year. Hope the winter treats you kindly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi from DenverDryGardenNovember 2, 2019 at 12:18 AM

    Panayoti!

    Thank you SO much for this blog and your posts!
    I have been very depressed with our sudden halt of summer and autumn, and you posts always brighten me up. Because of earlier posts of yours, I have planted some Moltkia petraea seeds, and Ruby Muhly grass. Maybe one day my garden will be beautiful enough to invite you to see it.

    Oh and this post, the Erythronium! So stunning!

    Many thanks again, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are all very gracious. It was a high point in my gardening life to have the Gardej Bloggers tour Denver. Loved spending time with both of you, Loree and Denise. As for YOU, Heidi, I love your posts on Instragram: I have no doubt you grow many plants better than I ever have: I'd love to visit your garden any time!

      Delete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive