Friday, March 22, 2019

Superbloom on Peridot Mesa





Fifteen years ago I flew my whole family to Los Angeles to see the superbloom that occurred that year (as it is currently experiencing), and I have a host of pictures from that time. I've also seen the Chihuahuan desert during a very wet monsoon in 1978 (October) when the Samalayuca sand dunes were in full glory. But despite a dozen visits to Arizona over the decades, this is the first time I managed to hit the Sonoran desert just right. There are glorious patches of color here and there around Phoenix, but certain locales ae especially showy. Jan Emming (flower guru of Arizona) suggested the Peridot mesa--and he was right!


The mesa was covered with a blanket of orange poppies (Eschscholtzia californica) and in the distance the flats were yellow with a crucifer, which I believe is a Lesquerella (which I hate to lump into Physaria.)




There were Brilliant pink-purple patches of the brilliant annual Castilleja excerta in many areas to leaven the orangy yellow of the poppies.

Add caption
There are several species of lupine in the Sonoran--I believe this was L. sparsiflora--which often made solid patches of blue as well as mixing with the poppies.



And of course we perversely look for "the white one"!

Dichelostemma capitatum

A special treat for me was finding "blue dicks" (yes, that's their common name) all over the mesa--with great color variation. I'm fond of bulbs, and this is one that could be a good garden plant I think.


Here's a soft blue form.


Closeup


And a pale blue that was almost white.

Phacelia crenulata

I wasn't even going to even try and figure out which of the dozens of Southwestern Phacelia, but Google came through for me this one time! This is one of our largest and showiest little known natives--some of which thrive in gardens.


The contrast of colorful nearby vignettes with distant peaks (some dusted with snow) was entrancing. I basked several hours (and took way too many pictures) in the glory. Almost the only other flower peepers with the local Apaches out picnicing and enjoying their ancestral lands.


I was delighted to find the very lovely Erodium texanum which has a huge range in the Southwest deserts. I love this genus, although my affection is tempered by E. cicutarium--one of my worst weeds!


I found this perfect mound of a composite, which I believe we grow at Denver Botanic Gardens. Forgot the name--will add it later...

Arctostaphylos pungens
And Manzanitas! A. pungens was found at slightly higher elevations on the pass near Globe. Still very hot in summer and dry. How do these Ericaceae manage here?



What looked like a white Lesquerella on the pass...


I was startled to find what I believe is Lotus wrightii, which grows right around Denver as well! A plant I would love to grow. The Great Plains share many plants with the Sonoran desert!


Anmd there were dense patches of Sphaeralcea in many areas, I'm not venturing a guess on species--just too many to pick from hereabouts.


Canyons along the pass on the way back to Phoenix had gorgeous Platanus arizonica, a gorgeous tree we even grow at Denver Botanic Gardens!



Proof positive I was there! No...it's not exactly a "selfie"--I do have ten second delay on my camera. My arms aren't that long....


And then a rainbow came out--perfect end to a dazzling day! How lucky we are to be graced with such a diverse and fantastic planet. I feel so privileged to have traveled so much, and grateful for all Denver Botanic Gardens has done for me, personally. And for the stand we take for the appreciation and preservation of Natural beauty.

6 comments:

  1. Just lovely to see. Thank you for sharing this special time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing what must have been an incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing what must have been an incredible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I was in Arizona too, but not that far south.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I saw almost all of these, though not in broad swaths, in the Catalina Mts. and other places around Tucson. Also California Cream Cups - Platystemon californicus, and some Anemone -looking pink flowers I haven't IDed yet. Will post when I can figure out how to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful - and so wonderful to see it through your lens.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive