Thursday, April 4, 2019

April! No foolin'...


Primula denticulata
 The endless winter seems to have retreated (for a few days at least...and I couldn't resist dashing around Denver Botanic Gardens and glimpsing some of the early wave of bloom...not needing much commentary, except hooray!

Pulsatilla vulgaris

Narcissus (perhaps 'Jetfire'?)

Helleborus 'Heronswood double'

Erica carnea
Chionodoxa  'Pink Giant'
Iris reticulata 'Harmony'
 

Helleborus niger  has been blooming since January!

New sculpture exhibit
 The titles of the sculptures have not been put up yet--will add them when they do. Sneak preview!


Tulipa kaufmanniana in thye Steppe Garden

Iris x reticulata cv.

Fritillaria eduardii
Rheum nanum


Ornithogalum sp.

Anemone nemorosa (probably not 'Wyatt's Pink'

Viburnum farreri 'Nanum'

Helleborus foetidus and Ophiopogon nigrescens

MORE Chionodoxa

Opuntia engelmannii and Yucca faxoniana

Anemone blanda

Galanthus nivalis 'White Dream'

Erica carnea

Galanthus plicatus ssp. byzantinus

Tussilago fanfara (worth growing for the name alone)



Primula elatior and Corydalis solida fms.

Helleborus multifidus red form

Galanthus elwesii Giant

Corydalis sp. (not sure which!)

Corydalis malkensis

Pulsatilla halleri

Helleborus multifidus ssp. hercegovinus

Galanthus nivalis 'Lady Beatrix Stanley'

Arbutus xalapensis


MORE Chionodoxa


Sweet peas

You wouldn't BELIEVE the fragrance

I'm afraid our Echiums have been sampling McDonalds a tad too much?

5 comments:

  1. The Erica carnea between the boulders must be in one of the most inhospitable looking sites I could imagine for that plant, but it is growing excellently. I would think the sun would cook such a maritime climate loving plant in a dry climate between huge rocks. I would have grown it in a bog so it could benefit from evaporative cooling. You must know something I am missing.

    Off topic, has anyone made a ranking of Rocky Mountain plants with a value assigned for the difficulty of maintaining them in the garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know of any ranking such as you suggest: it would be fun to try doing one--but everyone's list would be different, I suspect!

    Erica carnea isn't a bog plant at all--it grows on turfy areas in nature, although I saw it making an almost impenetrable carpet under pines at the Swiss National Park. We find it very easy to grow in Denver in almost any fairly decent soil (good loam, or even somewhat gravely rock garden soil amended with some humus). It does not want overly rich soils, or fertilization. It thrives in sun provided it isn't dried out too much. The plant in the picture IS growing in full sun--but on a slope facing northward (which makes a big difference i our climate). Erica carnea is indifferent to soil acidity--and does quite well on soils of higher pH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If people ranked the difficulty of growing alpines in gardens, I would bet the differences wouldn't be that far apart.

    When I said bog before, what I really meant was peat garden. I know Erica does not like to be saturated, but would do well in sandy soil amended with peat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the beautiful pictures and identification. I will make a list for the DBG Spring and Fall sales to add to my gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my garden, Iris reticulata ‘Harmony’ just started blooming a few days ago. Some of my other reticulated iris hybrids have already finished blooming. I have other things to do, but I just want to look at the reticulated iris blooms again and again. I know these irises will soon be gone.

    Less than half the Iris reticulata ‘Harmony’ bulbs I planted still remain. My clumps are neither as large or have as many flowers as the ones in your photos. I probably need to dig them up this summer and replant them with some bone meal mixed in the hole.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive