Sunday, February 5, 2023

Nova Scotia here we come!


If I didn't know better, I'd swear that tortoise was doing a Yoga asana, perhaps the Ardha Chandrasana? Such is the magic of Maritime Canada that anything is possible.

Cypripedium acaule

I was very fortunate to visit Nova Scotia in May, 2014--and I published a half dozen posts back then about that wonderful trip (click on that for one of them) and now I'm looking to go back this June I see in amazement that I never posted some of the best pictures: so here they are--beginning with this lady slipper--of which we saw dozens or maybe hundreds in the woods near Halifax.

 Aralia nudicaule
These pictures were all taken in some natural areas we visited back then: the gardens were better documented in previous blog posts: but I see I have a lot of images I never posted that give a good taste, perhaps, of what's in store in a few months for those of us who attend the meeting in Truro!

Cypripedium acaule

I must have taken a dozen pictures of these ladyslippers. Maybe two dozen! They were everywhere!

Ferns everywhere: not sure the species here...

Trientalis borealis

I cut my horticultural teeth ordering Eastern wildflowers to grow in a shady garden in Boulder, Colorado were I grew up. I grew this for many years.

Gymnocarpium dryopteris

High on my list of favorite plants: I grew its cousin (Gymnocarpium robertianum) well for years at the Gardens. And I'm determined to grow this one too!

Rhododendron rhodora

I dedicated a whole blog post to this plant after my first Nova Scotia visit: a shimmering memory I will never forget!
Populus grandidentatum

So very different from our Rocky Mountain aspen: I must grow this one day!

Trillium undulatum
Alas, nowhere in my garden is it 1) acid enough 2) moist enough to make this gem happy. Fortunately there are a lot of trilliums that settle for me though. This (after T. nivale, which I can grow) is my very favorite.

Coptis trifolia

Another plant not destined for my garden. Wish the Coptis I can grow were this pretty!

Dryopteris spinulosa

Populus grandidentatum

LOVE the unfurling leaves on this poplar.  Yes...I must grow it! This year's Annual General Meeting in Nova Scotia is sure to be a gem--as they all are. I am so excited to see Bernard Jackson's masterpiece rock garden at the University in Truro once again, and the extraordinary limestone crevice garden extension they've put in since my last visit.

I was amazed by the incredible diversity of private gardens--many of which will be on tour. Early June will be peak bloom for Rhododendrons, rock and perennial gardens--all kissed by the cool, Maritime breath of the sea! Wouldn't miss this for the world--and hope to see you there...the QR code will take you to the registration page, or click right here! Be sure to watch Jamie Ellison's stunning video promoting the meeting--what a remarkably evocative landscape!




 

1 comment:

  1. The natives will be saying "With all these botanists around, there goes the neighborhood." The raucous partying. The full hotels. The busy restaurants.

    At least the establishments will be able to make some money before tourist season drops off for the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive