Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Coeur du jour! Cyclamen purpurascens

Cyclamen purpurascens (same for all the other pictures too!)
 I start with this amazing leaf form--which I obtained from Edelweiss Alpines (which reminds me, I need to order from them again this fall!). The foliage (with Christmas tree) is the thing! Cyclamen are one of those key genera that form a leitmotif throughout my life (on more than one level) that would make a novella that might be more readable than you would suspect. I may even write that book one day--but here is a draft of one chapter, perhaps! This widespread species--the hardiest  of the genus, has found my Quince St. garden to its liking. I think I planted the first one only 15 or so years ago: they are now seeding and dozens are showing up everywhere--including full sun, and places I NEVER would dream of planting them!


Unlike other cyclamen--these bloom with their leaves...these pictures hardly do them justice--I should patiently wait for the right light etc. blah blah--but can't resist snapping shots anyway--but notice how different the patterning is on each one!


This seedling perched on a spot I would have never put a cyclamen--and is doing its thing..


My biggest patch--if you look carefully you'll notice myriad tiny seedlings--loves this spot. I can't recall planting these here--but will take credit for  my talent in doing so!


Here's one (actually several) that came up in the middle of a patch of Iris ruthenica var. uniflora.  I don't approve, and will probably divide the iris next spring and see if I can't transplant the cyclamen.


Here's a seedling that came up in the middle of Dryas. Oh well! I have them in the middle of any number of plants. May the best one win!


Another shot of the same plant as the first picture: my favorite foliage form. I love how it contrasts with all the other miniature shade polants growing with it (Kitagawia bottom, miniature Hosta above)


These MAY be the leaves of Cyclamen coum Pewter form. Pretty nice leaves too...

 
But not too far away are the undeniable flowers of C. purpurascens, with a pewter leaf next to them:  Could I have been so stupid as to plant a Pewter leaf coum next to a pewter leaf purpurascens. I fear the answer may be yes.


My fullest individual, with pretty nice foliage. What the picture does NOT convey is the heady fragrance that actually wafted through the whole garden from all of these--by far the most fragrant cyclamen. They're worth growing for that alone!


Yes friends, I was "trumped" (he's even ruined that innocent word)...here is a fantastic individual I photographed in Keith Funk's great garden this past weekend.

I titled this blog post "Coeur du jour" as a tribute to Edie Deweese--with whom I went to high school a few years ago...we reconnected thanks to Facebook and high school reunions. She charms me almost daily finding hearts in all manner of natural and man-made sites. I must dig up a few cyclamen and pass them along to her to plant at Allenspark where she spends her summers: I have a hunch they'd love it up there, and she'd have some handy coeurs to photograph if she's running low on random ones along the road! Hope this brings a smile to you, Edie!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you dear friend, you warm my heart! I would be thrilled to have any coeur you would be willing to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Panayoti!
    Wonderful speciems! Cyclamen purpurascens grow in the forest around us, but never this beautiful foliage forms!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive