Sunday, August 18, 2024

Four fiery Pellies...

Pelargonium magenteum

Magenta and scarlet aren't for everyone, perhaps. But they are high on my list of favorite colors (OK, I admit it, I'm a chromoaholic). It was a bit of a coup (I thought) to see four bright red-spectrum flowered pelargoniums on a single trip--the first was photographed at Kirstenbosch. (That counts, doesn't it?)


 

Pelargonium sericifolium

 Finding this species scattered here and there in the veldt was one of many highlights of our time at Nigramoep--an amazing 10,000 acre preserve we'd visited and asked to visit again...Marius (our host at Nigramoep) told us the preserve has 24 distinct species in the genus identified so far, including a newly described endemic taxon! Click here to read the story.

Pelargonium fulgidum

We found this little waif several times in the vicinity of Port Nolloth near the coast of northern Namaqualand: I recall seeing it around Kleinzee last year--so it is likely pretty widespread.

Pelargonium incrassatum

This species was dotted here and there all over southern Namaqualand. We first saw it two years ago not far from Springbok: I recall my surprise when our amazing guide, Karel DuToit, pulled one up and started munching on the tuber. He shared with us: I am embarrassed to say it was pretty tasty! I generally don't make a practice of eating my flowers...this was photographed near the N-7 on the road south to Van Rhysdorp.

We saw a lot of other Pellies--but this is just to give you a bright red taste of this amazing genus--one of several compelling reasons that have brought me here ten times!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive