Tuesday, July 16, 2024

What on earth is Rindera?

Rindera lanata in the wild

 Boraginaceae are generally not at the top of most people's favorite plant family lists...That is if you aren't a lover of the steppes. We who belong to the "Steppe cult"* bump the family to the top of our favorites list--the variety and beauty of steppe borages must be seen to be believed...although this little creature belies the reputation the best borages have for flowers of piercing blue color. It's long on something else--namely it's cute as a bunny, don't you think?

Rindera lanata in cultivaton

And here it is in my garden: my OLD garden. I grew it there 35 years ago from seed I purchased from Jim Archibald--who collected it in Turkey. What is so cool about this plant is how it morphs as it grows...


It looks a tad different a week or two earlier than the shot before...but check out how it looks as it emerges from the ground:


I don't know about you, but any plant with a growth ball that wooly would be near the top of my list.

Alas, it did not persist at Eudora, and we couldn't obtain seed in Armenia. Who knows when and if we'll grow this again? I did obtain ANOTHER Rindera a few years ago that actually has showier flowers. Unfortunately, it is enormous. It came to me only as Rindera sp. from my friend John Rembetski...

Rindera sp. ex John Rembetski
Although it lacks the petite wooly charm of its congener, this is a striking plant nontheless. And perennial!

So now you know a little bit more about Rindera: Let me know if you find seed of these (or others!)


And you too can join the Steppe Cult!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive