Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Heroes and friends: Woody Minnich

How many of you are lucky enough to have a masterful gardener (SEVERAL steps above master gardener) groom plants in your garden? Well, I'm such a lucky son of a gun. Full disclosure--that fantastic specimen of Escobaria leei (OK, E. sneedii var. leei) was actually grown by Sandy Snyder (another masterful friend) who gave it to me when she downsized her large house and garden. It eventually made it to her NEW smaller house and garden...

I don't ALWAYS color coordinate with my heroes, but I love it when I do! Randy Tatroe looking on a bit wistfully: he didn't get the memo!


I'd known Woody for decades when he finally let me into one of his inner sancta at his home--chockablock full of trophies, awards. I'm guessing more than hundreds. The breadth and depth of his knowledge, commitment an experience in the world of cacti and succulents is humbling.


Woody spends an inordinate amount of time on the road: he speaks to Cactus and Succulent Societies in America and Internationally every year--bringing treasures from his greenhouse which he sells (plants you can't get otherwise) which helps supplement the extremely modest (let's not say cheap) fees that he's paid by these clubs. Nevertheless, his home garden is full of interest (let's be honest and give Kathy Minnich credit for that as well!)


He has a large array of saikei that I've coveted forever...


And some fantastic specimen Yucca--perhaps faxoniana?



And a few goodies that move in and out, like this gorgeous Sago.


I was visiting in late summer--Cosmos season...


He's accumulated an extraordinary wealth of rocks, containers, plants, soil, top dressing. He was embarrassed at how excited I was to peruse and look through it--it's his laboratory and not meant for visitors!


Even in his private corners, the humblest objects, like the driftwood below, strike your eye...


Woody is a man of the Southwest, of desert, steppe and wind.


He has left a treasure trove of articles for beginners and advanced gardeners in the CSSA journal I read with interest decades ago, and has expanded his scope to exploring every continent (except Antarctica) again and again for succulents and his many other interests.


He comes home to a haven of great beauty--full of elegant and wonderful things...


I was not in Los Angeles those many decades ago when collected plants were often showed at local shows planted in tin cans. Woody was prime mover in the creation of the Inter-city show, where he insisted that plants be grown and shown impeccably--leading to the exquisite shows of now--when plants, top dressing and pots are all carefully coordinated. As an trained artist, teacher of art and persuasive leader, he was more responsible than anyone for the high standards of showing cacti and succulents that prevails today across North America. He also began the movement to exclude collected plants from cactus shows.


After more decades than Woody would admit to, "Cactusdata" continues to raise the bar on the quality of plants grown and sold at plant sales across America.


Some gems Woody was propagating


Just a few more vignettes from his greenhouse.




Woody has also raised and bred reptiles from the time he was very young...


Totally as an aside: Woody arranged for me to do lecture tours through Southern California cactus clubs on three occasions at least--his word is gold with dozens of clubs. He's done the same for Marcia Tatroe and no end of other speakers. Otherwise we'd all be turtles at home (had to give the picture some relevance!)


A small corner of his "backup" arsenal: this man has meticulously grown and displayed countless thousands of gems..'


I just love the back corner of his outdoor workshop! 


Even the empty pots are pretty!


Some larger, hardy things destined for one of his shows and sales...


Did I mention that Woody has no end of awards and recognitions. Makes my little corner look paltry by comparison.


One of the great moments of my life was getting these two extraordinary people to sit together. This picture was taken on October 22, 2012. Woody and David became fast friends and proceeded to go on plant expeditions with one another and share plant lore and plants until the day David tragically passed away last year.


I took this picture that same visit--I believe he's clutching one of Kelly Griffin's amazing miniature aloes--possibly 'Poppa Woody"?

This is a picture I've "borrowed" off the internet--it was a large spread in a major Los Angeles newspaper about Woody and his work--published decades ago.

These random images represent a tiny fraction of my interactions with a mentor who has had a profound influence on my life: I have learned so much from listening to dozens of talks I've heard him give. I've asked him no end of questions--and am always astonished at the depth and breadth of first hand knowledge he has about plants. Multiply my case by the tens of thousands of people Woody's given talks to, sold plants to, interacted with everywhere: he's practically the world-wide web weaver of the Succulent World!

He has handled an unimaginable volume of plants that he has purchased and sold--often buying tiny liners and sizing them up. He has been the go-to auctioneer who's sold collections of elderly collectors or those who've passed away--for more years than I can remember. For as long as I can remember he has found wild collecting abhorrent (obviously, there are exceptions for those who do so with permits and under proper circumstances). I don't know anyone who comes close to Woody's commitment--although there are those who pretend to.

I am painfully aware that there are those who envy and resent anyone possessing Woody's extraordinary combination of skills: skilled artistry, vast scholarship, a worldwide network of friends, and a wellspring of energy, commitment and passion that I have not seen paralleled in anyone. Anyone.

I highly recommend you watch Oppenheimer if you haven't seen it it yet and you can see how an extraordinary talent can be tormented (and in Robert Oppenheimer's case destroyed) because of professional jealousy. I have a hunch Woody will be more like Robert's brother, Frank--who triumphed in the end.

I have had to resort to voicing my towering contempt for character assassination more than once in my blog: check these disgusting instances below if you don't believe me. (By the way, both Saco and Pesman have left their accusers in the dust.)



I cannot stand by and watch as Woody Minnich is dealt the Oppenheimer treatment. I don't believe the world of Cactus and Succulents has had a greater champion who has maintained the very highest standards in the realm of conservation, in conducting business and especially in his commitment to the Cactus and Succulent Society of America.  I have a hunch anyone who disagrees may have a lot more to account for than Woody does. And they eventually shall.

2 comments:

  1. Saw Woody interviewed at one of the California Succulent shows. He is a treasure-trove of information. Would love to spend many hours perusing his greenhouse and even more time working with his subjects in his incredible workshop area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, now I'm curious as to what sort character assassination this man is enduring...

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive