Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Yaller bells and fretting over frits

Fritillaria pudica

Most sensible people fret over money, status, reputations--you know, important things! I fret over frits. Fritillarias that is...
I have admired Yellowbells in Utah and Wyoming and Idaho (and know they sneak into a corner of Colorado near where
I was born)--surely one of the most charming native wildflowers. It can grow in tremendous numbers in the wild--but it's
pretty rare in cultivation--unless you grow them from seed yourself (which I've never done). Fortunately, I have a source--and
last year I added a number of these to my garden: may they persist!

Fritillaria caucasica

Now THIS is a persister: year after year it elbows its way up from a tangle of penstemons and other perennials and has consistently been the first to bloom, lasting for weeks. This year it came through three snowstorms with nights in the teens all three times--unscathed. But still no seed! In the right spot, if it would set seed, I think this could be THE fritillaria for Colorado.

Fritillaria pudica

One of my other little clusters of yellowbells--more attenuated in more shade. But still welcome!

Fritillaria affinis

I knew this as F. lanceolata for years: and I've admired it in the wild in Oregon. This is my tale of woe: I finally got it to bloom and look happy: then one of those snowstorms came and left a crispy stem. I doubt it will come back.

Fritillaria crassifolia v. kurdica

A new one for me: looking very promising (and a bit like F. michaelovskyi--must research!). I just realized that I neglected to take a picture of F. michaelovskyi, which I have planted here and there all over the garden--and it bloomed gangbusters again. Oh well.

Fritillaria bucharica

A long-time favorite I've grown for 30 years or more--and still not a single one set seed.

Fritillaria stenanthera
 
Its close cousin (once also separated into a separate genus: Rhinanthera) seems to have settled in. But once again, no seed set.


I'm embarrassed to say I lost the label on this incredibly tall beauty that's come back for several years...Perhaps Roger Mudd will see this and help me out (He's Mr. Fritillaria personified).


Another view.

Fritillaria pallidiflora

This has settled in happily into several areas of the garden. Not like Bob Nold, for whom it's a prolific self sower--I recall looking in envy at the plants along thesouth side of his garden--masses of them.

Fritillaria stribrnyi

Another new one for me: the sort of plant people look at and go "huh?"--but we frit freaks understand.

Fritillaria pontica

Another toughie--growing in several spots in my garden. It has not naturalized for me (yet) as it has for Marcia Tatroe...


Another rogue that went and lost its label: growing up through a mass of other plants. THIS is a keeper!



Fritillaria meleagris

And of course the common one--I'm not a snob. I should mention that there was a similar large clump next to this one--or perhaps a foot away that was totally frozen in one of our horrible spring cold snaps. I lost a half dozen fritillaries this year that way that may not come back (mostly native Americans).


Fritillaria sp.

Yet another one that comes back every year (only without its label.)

Fritillaria orientalis

A new one for me and one I'm thrilled to have acquired this past year from my mystery Fritillaria purveyor. If you think I'll tell you who that is, think again. (one doesn't reveal sources like that)

Fritillaria orientalis


Fritillaria amana

There's a large colony of these at Denver Botanic Gardens growing in a shady garden through a mass of geranium (alongside a Cypripedium hybrid). Mine grows on a hot slope--and rabbits nibbled several of them--fortunately leaving this one alone.

Fritillaria acmopetala

I shall finish with one of my very favorite species that has annoyed me almost as much as it's delighted me: I've planted it in all sorts of soils and exposures: in my rock gardens, blue gramma meadow, in woodsy siges. It grows everywhere and comes back stronger one year weaker the next. It's self-sowing exuberantly in an aspen copse at the Botanic Gardens...but my best specimen I believe grew from seed that somehow found its way to my street side verge where I NEVER water--coming back two years now and looking better each time. So much for our "notions"--plants have theirs too!

Fritilllaria acmopetala

A number of other species slipped past me--and others were badly mangled by our repeated cold snaps. But most of the species have bounced back and reveal their tough little souls. Most of my garden visitors barely notice these, but for a few (like me) these are the little nuggets that make a garden special.

3 comments:

  1. I love Frits but have only one. Probably the most common F. Uva-vulpis. Seeing your collection makes me want more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! You reminded me I forgot to post my pictures of F. uva-vulpis--which has finally found the sweet spot in my garden. Ditto F. imperialis...maybe NEXT fret. They're definitely worth it, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered seeds of Fritillaria pudica this year from Alplains. They are currently in a tray on moist paper towels until they germinate. It remains to be seen if I can grow them. The seeds look a lot like those of lilies.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive