Sunday, April 12, 2020

Killer Mail Order Nurseries


Some Great North American Mail Order Nurseries

Disclaimer: The United States and Canada have more than their share of great mail order nurseries--these are a drop in the bucket...but they're ones that have confirmed my orders for this spring (or even delivered them!) If you think I'll list a nursery before I get what I want confirmed you have another thing coming! I will give a little spiel on each one to let you know why I think it's so awesome. If the other nurseries I'm WAITING to respond do so in time, I may include a few more. I'd love it if you added some at the end YOU love particularly...I may need to get just a FEW more plants this year (Ha! Don't tell Jan, by the way). Click on the name of the nursery underneath each webpage listed and you'll get transported to that webpage. In reverse alphabetical order (by and large)--for the heck of it.


1 Wrightman Alpines Nursery

https://www.wrightmanalpines.com/
Arguably the finest source for a variety of classic miniature rock garden plants and true alpines, you can count on healthy and unique plants from this New Brunswick specialty nursery that ships throughout North America. Right now they're offering 10% discount for orders before months end--which pretty much pays for the Phytosanitary Certificate and some of the postage if you order right away (I took advantage of this!)

2. Sunscapes Rare plant nursery


http://sunscapes.net/
www.sunscapes.net

I should come clean and let you know this is one of my very best friends. I never order plants from him mail order because I can get them direct! But I know legions of gardeners who rely on Bill--much of what he offers is not sold anywhere else. He has an especially rich assortment of steppe-climate miniatures for crevice gardens and troughs.

Bill Adams, prioprietor of Sunscapes with an Ariocarpus in bloom
Bill can be credited for having practically invented the now rich arena of hybrids between Aloinopsis spathulata and various Nananthus and other mesembs which he calls xAloinanthus. Now several breeders are producing dozens more of these, which are now coming into bloom in Denver.


A picture of stock plants of these in Bill's greenhouse taken a few years ago. Who knows how many there are now?

3. Singing Tree Gardens Nursery

https://www.singtree.com/
This is a new one for me: the "plants are in the mail"--friends have assured me that the plants are of a magnificent size and the prices are not bad. This could be a problem for my budget!

4. Quackin Grass

https://www.quackingrassnursery.com/
This one wins the prize for the quirkiest name...Don't click on their URL: you will regret it. I found a dozen plants here I've been yearning for.

And the service is quick and thoughtful.

5. Plants of the wild

http://www.plantsofthewild.com/
I found about this one just a few weeks ago when a friend on Facebook told me I could find Balsamroot sold here: she didn't say that I'd find Synthyris missurica and a ton of other things I needed...the prices are very fair and the shipment was wonderful.

6. Plant Delights Nursery

https://www.plantdelights.com/
If you don't know about Tony Avent and Plant Delights nursery, I suggest you come out from under that rock of yours and bask in the humor of one (any) of his catalogs. Any nursery that posts their complaint letters on their website has to be awesome. I consider Tony (along with Dan Hinkley, Sean Hogan and a very few others) to be the Dean of American gardeners.

Can't wait till I get this year's order: they're always beautifully packed, husky and the best!

7. Odyssey Bulbs

https://odysseybulbs.com/
Along with Telos bulbs (which I don't list--I order there in the fall) this is the premier source of rare and unusual bulbs. Click on this at your risk (and at the risk of your pocketbook!)


8. Missouri wildflowers Nursery

http://mowildflowers.net/

Where else can you find Cunila origanoides for sale at all, let alone at that price? Or Nemastylis geminiflora. Many southern Great Plains specialties at bargain basement prices...I almost hate to share this with anyone.

9. Mail-Order Natives

https://www.mailordernatives.com/
Not sure when they'll ship this year--but another native plant nursery with treasures you can't find anywhere else and prices that are, well, don't tell them, but they're much too low!

10. Ethical Desert

https://www.ethicaldesert.com/
Another Colorado business that I should recuse myself from promoting. But what they hey, following the example of our Nation's Capitol--anything goes! All ludicrousness aside, the Barnett's are THE source for some of the rarest hardy yuccas, agaves and more with data--and their plants are superbly grown. I got my order a month ago and have a hard time not drooling on them!

Collaborative book (father and son) available through their website
The book above was produced by the extraordinary team who have also created the most exquisite cactus garden in America (in my opinion) although Obie Oberhausen gives them a good run for their money. OK, there's the Huntington, I know--it's OK.

11. Digging Dog Nursery

https://www.diggingdog.com/
ALL the classic perennials are here, and groundcovers galore--all at a decent price (with husky starts). But also many NOT so classic forms. If you ever go to Mendocino, make sure you contact them: their private gardens are stunning. I can't let a year go by without ordering.


12. Far Reaches Farm

https://www.farreachesfarm.com/
Not far from the old Heronswood nursery, Sue and Kelly carried on the glorious tradition, adding their own twist and if anything a WIDER spectrum of plants, including bulbs (check out their Sisyrinchium (Olsynium) douglasii selections!) My wish list always goes into the four figures before sanity strikes and I pare it down. One of the greatest nurseries anywhere!

13. Edelweiss Perennials

https://www.edelweissperennials.com/

 Many of the choicest alpine plants (edelweiss, obviously, but also gentians, primulas and more)--but also long lists of classic perennials like Dierama, Alstroemeria--and on and on. All superbly grown and packaged and at really good prices. Can't let this go by Spring or Fall!

 
 Edelweiss nursery gentians sold by Nick's Nursery in Aurora, Colorado this past week.

14. Cold Hardy Cactus


Again, I should recuse myself. Kelly Grummons who started this nursery is one of my best friends and professional colleagues. His business partner, Jorge Lopez, is a Guatemalan/Canadian/American whose energy is exceeded only by his capacity for work and making things happen. Together they are propelling this into a realm where xerophytic succulents will become Universal in gardens everywhere.
This picture showing some of their selections may help support my assertion!


15. Brent and Becky's

https://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/
I have ordered spring and fall since...since...since the Daffodil Mart days! You will not find better bulbs at a decent price. Just got my box of spring planted bulbs (Bessera! hurray!). A year ago exactly I spent a magical few days with Brent and Becky...it blew my mind!

Brent with his namesake 'Brent'
This is one of many magical moments when Brent let me take a picture alongside the bulb that his father named for him: the history and depth of this nursery is legendary! Spring won't come unless you order quickly!

16. Brent and Becky's

https://www.anniesannuals.com/
Few nurseries are more inaptly named: Annie of course is fine (she's my fellow Greek-American after all!) but ANNUALS? Yes, she is the ONLY source for many rare and choice annuals. But the nursery offers so much more! I have blogged about it repeatedly, and no trip to the Bay area is complete without a visit. Thank Heavens Southwest Air has the best schedule there (and lets you have two bags fly for FREE--one full of treasures from Annie's). Ask me how I know?

I have a few more nurseries that are on my list of favorites--but my orders to them aren't in yet...

I've only gotten five of my orders so far from these: for gardeners, Christmas comes year around--but especially when the boxes from any one of these nurseries arrive! Just make sure you keep them secret from your sequestered housemate.


9 comments:

  1. Quackin' Grass has sent great, healthy plants, some that I'd been looking for for years. Ran across it by chance in an online plant search and had a great chat with the owner a few years ago, and think of the business fondly when their plants are showing off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a delight. I'm familiar with 3 of the above and the rest are a treat. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent & Becky's and Annie's Annuals, yes. Plant Delights, no. Small plants at high prices and lousy customer service. Also the wise guy persona is getting tiresome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list. There's some new ones for me to check out. Thank you! If I may, Plant Lust is a fabulous way to online shop for plants. One site, several awesome nurseries. Please check it out: https://plantlust.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Digging Dog is such a gem! I love CHC, and have an order pending from Ethical Desert. I'm also a big fan of FBTS.com for their salvias, they are strong and healthy. One thing I've noticed as a relatively new online shopper, is that if you see something you want, buy it right away! Because often times inventory depletes, and sometimes you may have to wait an entire year for it to return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for mentioning Flowers by the Sea, Heidi! They ARE a great source--my order from them isn't in yet, so I was hiding them under a barrel. Ditto Cistus. Ditto Arrowhead Alpines: but my plant budget is seriously overspent, so they may have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, PK. I knew some of these but great to learn about the others. If they're good enough for you, they're certainly good enough for me! Mind, my plant budget is miniscule, so will have a hard time choosing. Still just browsing will be more fulfilling than doing our taxes (today's stay-at-home task).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the list! Not familiar with any of them except for PDN and Brent and Becky's. My own go to nurseries are Prairie Nursery and Prairie Moon, but always looking for new options.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive