Sunday, May 1, 2016

Botanic gleanings...a brisk walk in late April...


Hylomecon japonicum
I think the pictures speak for themselves! We start in Plantasia, then the Rock Alpine Garden ("RAG") and finally Plant Select...with a quick peak at the Iris garden. There are fifty gardens I DIDN'T show--also full of treasures, but so be it. I cannot begin to express the delight and the privilege to work in a paradise that is a botanic garden. And this one has grown so enormously in my tenure--and there are so many talented young gardeners here. What can I say? Not much--so I'll stick to doing putting on some labels! Enjoy...

Iris magnifica

Iris graeberiana

Steppe portion of Plantasia in tulip time


Scrophularia chrysantha and Veronica

Scrophularia chrysantha

Fritillaria uva-vulpis and a few Fritillaria pallidiflora

Fritillaria olivieri
Roger Mudd has advised that this is actually "Fritillaria amana, which was known as F. hermonis v. amana until 2002."

Fritillaria meleagris--one of two big patches!

Iris bucharica gone wild...

Itris bucharica gone even wilder

Clematis scottii

Fritillaria meleagris another big patch!

Crevice garden at entrance of RAG

Trough at entrance of RAG


Erica carnea 'Vivellii'

Paeonia officinalis 'Alba'

Corydalis solida and Thlaspi sp.

Corydalis solida mixed shades

Anemone ranunculoides and Helleborus xhybridus

Back to the crevice garden

The color on this Pasqueflower is too good to miss: forgive me M.K. for including the composite...

Another Crevice Garden with Aubrieta gracilis

Paeonia kavachensis gone nuts (thank you Don Hackenberry!)

Euphorbia capitulata

Ranunculus laxus v. laxus

Erythronium albidum and pasquefllowers

Bergenia stracheyi 'Alba'

Bergenia ciliata

Salix 'Boyd's Pendulous'

Lots of visitors the other day...

And more Corydalis solida (George Baker no doubt)

Another overview

On and on and on it goes...

The Flowers on Shandong Maple are quite showy...

T

Tulipa chrysantha (front) and Erodium cf. chrysanthum behind.

And more tulips!

And we have to end with our signature juno: Iris bucharica

5 comments:

  1. Impressionante e bellissimo! Mai viste alcune varietà!

    Un saluto :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that lots of rock gardens are full of the easy to grow plants that make good displays. I would like to know what plants you find to be difficult to impossible to cultivate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post was really about the colorful early spring bulbs and displays: there are lots of rarities--and I shall put a post together in the next week or so to show you these since you asked, James! With tens of thousands of taxa, believe me many are rare and wonderful...

      Delete
  3. When I started my rock gardening I categorically chose to try growing the more difficult plants. I find it rather amusing that I chose to grow plants that match how some people have characterized my personality. Over time I realized that the plants for which I received the most positive feedback were plants that are easy to grow with lots of showy flower. In contrast, some of the plants I value most look half dead and are a battle to keep alive. I am now finding myself in quite a situation. Do I make the rock garden look pretty so it is a good ambassador for the neighbors or do I grow the things I value which most people do not find to be impressive? I would honestly like to rip out some of showier plants which clash with my cherished weak growing specimens. If I do then I will have a garden no one but you and I could love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spring shows us the top of beautiful creativity of the Nature. It's flowers. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive