Friday, September 19, 2014

North Carolina Arboretum (Part two)


Lycoris radiata
Brace yourselves: this is only the SECOND part--and there will be a third as well. There are so many images from this Arboretum that I shall not have the time or patience to annotate them all: since it's the busy end of Autumn here in Denver, I don't have the luxury or patience to provide scholia for each photo: but I was really enchanted with this little known garden which with a little luck and ingenuity could be come one of America's greatest! Of course, they'll have to hire James (and you know who you are) to achieve that! I was there in mid August--hence the Surprise lily above--which is not quite hardy in Denver....yet.
Signage
There was not a lot of signage, but I was impressed at what I saw there..


Angelica gigas
Surely the most spectacular Angelica:I have become quite fond of this genus, despite its monocarpic tendencies--and this is part of the reason why. I believe it was introduced to cultivation by Barry Yinger--one of America's great horticulturists.


Plaza at the entrance court: I love the Agastache and the Hydrangea!


Enormous pathways could accommodate crowds: would love to see crowds here...


There are lots of interesting pieces of garden furnishings like this--this one is a bit creepy perhaps.


Not a typical container planting. But I liked it. Perhaps because of that. And of course, Agastaches rock--even the wannish ones like this!


I liked the existential waterfall (whence? wither?) Waterfall for waterfall's sake.


A wonderful ring of Chinese elms around the circle drive--love the bark!

Hydrangeas in the distance: Verononia in front (you'll see it better soon). I'm a sucker for Hydrangeas--and I notice they're getting more and more popular on both coasts.

Closer up...next one shows it better...

Veroninia gigantea
I believe this is the correct name: the plant is certainly gigantic--growing along the margins of the garden (and probably wild).

Endless vistas everywhere: this place is huge. There is great relief on the property--it's awesome!
Another grand vista with wide, wide paths: they were expecting droves here. Not the day I visited!

I rather liked this sculpture: the label (read below) was intriguing...


Rudbeckia gigantea
The foliage certainly looks like the giant coneflower....
Eupatorium  behind a branch of Rudbeckia
Either the ray-flowers have been shed, or this is a rayless form. It superficially resembles our giant Rudbeckia occidentalis in the west, but the foliage doesn't jibe: a MYSTERY! Unless there's something afoot I don't know about. Do you?
Labelled "Eupatorium 'Dwarf Red Stemmed Selection'"
Hard to believe this was dwarf--but it is more compact than generic Joe Pye Weed. I love these late summer daisies!

I believe trhis is Cinnamon Fern in full summer glory in front of "Eupatorium 'Dwarf Red Stemmed Selection'"

A bank with Lobelia siphylitica and sedge--lots of nice combos


Zenobia pulverulenta 'O'Ree'
The picture doesn't reveal the powdery blue color of this compact ericaceous mound.

Pachysandra procumbens, unmottled form
I envied this massive planting of Alleghany spurge: Surely they wouldn't miss a spadeful?

Delicate tracery on a gate


Eupatorium rotundifolium with Cinnamon fern and Belamcanda
This was a new one for me: there are no end of Joe-Pye-Weeds in the East!

Closeup of the flowers of Eupatorium rotundifolium

Sorghastrum nutans
The Indian grass had been blooming in Denver when I left--for a fleeting week or two it's my favorite grass of all.
Closeup of Sorghastrum nutans

Fabulous bark on Cladrastus kentuckea
There is a cell phone tour: we have them at Denver as well....I've never seen anyone do it however...

"Quilt" garden
The one extensive annual display is laid out to resemble a quilt: I checked and sure enough they change the pattern every year. I've been gardening nearly sixty years, and I've finally been worn down and have to admit I enjoy annual carpet bedding. If you've gardened less than me, you may still be a snob.


Here's the best view--although you're supposed to clumb up on that parapet and look down.

More nice views and allees.

Don't have a clue why I took this: some interesting woodlanders?

More crisp paths and views spangled with some Zinnia angustifolia

More expansive views

Schizachyrium and some purple leaf annuals and marigolds
A rather arbitrary aglommeration of things, perhaps, but pleasant enough. Love the Hydrangea poking up above!

The Petunia of choice--that strange biscuit gold one: I grew it this year too.

Another mixed up border; Bananas and Perovskia--a new one for me!

I must find a place to let Hyacinth Bean do this in MY garden!

Well grown annuals--the color would be more evocative at dawn or dusk...

Giant Sacaton (Sporobolus wrightii)
I was astonished to see this Rio Grande native thriving in Asheville! What a glorious plant.

I'd hate to be the one to lug the Sago palms in and out.

Mandevilla as a hedge: another new one for me.

A few random pictures from one of the several grand buildings on the site: a lovely gallery space with irridescent objets d'art

A well lit solarium space

A wonderful display of foliage tropicals--one worth copying.

Another vast........empty.............space

Obligatory gift shop sans shoppers

The atrium I showed from above at ground level: big enough to serve a major National Park

Trim annual plantings out front of the building...
Mind you, there's a third installment on the way: the place is enormous. I couldn't capture the fact that you're dropping a fairly large distance as you walk through--and there were lots of spaces I didn't show. I managed to show a few visitors--I doubt there were more than a couple dozen the entire time of my visit over two days: someone said they had over a million visitors a year--but I seriously doubt that could be the case since this was a weekend in high vacation season: I'd just come from Denver Botanic Gardens which was nearing the million visitation mark a month or so later--the crowds are non stop at DBG from 9 to 9: albeit North Carolina Arboretum is much bigger.

The maintenance of the plantings was really good--albeit the plantings were rather modest in scope. There were some wonderful trees and shrubs. If a few more plantsmen were in the mix, this could easily become one of the premier gardens in the Country. As it is, it is redolent with promise!


2 comments:

  1. By some quirk of the computer I missed this post completely until now. I liked every picture you posted, except perhaps the waterfall. The thing about the waterfall is I am not a fan of concrete walls. I can definitely see why working at the NCA would be a horticulturalist's dream come true.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you finally tracked the piece down--especially since I buried a nugget in there for you! If you're not crazy about concrete, better not come to Denver: DBG is a veritable BUNKER of concrete (albeit in somewhat more tolerable Mid-Century Modern mode). The latter is a synonym of dolled up Stalinist-realism. I like concrete best when its a) painted b) covered with plants or c) in someone else's garden!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A garden near lake Tekapo

The crevice garden of Michael Midgley Just a few years old, this crevice garden was designed and built by Michael Midgley, a delightful ...

Blog Archive